The Master in Urban Studies (4CITIES) is a unique two-year interdisciplinary and international programme. 4CITIES takes students to Brussels, Copenhagen, Vienna, Madrid and a number of surrounding cities. The programme adds a European perspective to the field of Urban Studies: it wants to break up and to open the national perspective on urban problems. The growing importance of globalisation and the shift towards a world of flows calls for a new approach in important fields of urban policy like culture, economy, planning…
Strength of the programme
The strength of the programme results from the integration of analytical skills typical for the (social-) sciences and the more design oriented skills of planning and architecture. The need for interdisciplinary knowledge and skills as opposed to the more narrowly defined academic disciplines is strong.
- Globalisation - the processes of globalisation and localisation - as a general context leading to a renewed importance of the city and urbanity in the 21st century. The city is considered a nodal point in post-national developments.
- Europe as the unit of analysis: Europe and the European unification process is seen as part of and a reaction to this globalisation processes. Our scope is Europe seen through its cities and urban networks.
- Interdisciplinarity and internationality as a surplus value. The Master in Urban Studies is a thematic masters programme focused on transdisciplinary approaches and transdisciplinary practices (not the least bridging urban planning and urban sociology, geography, etc) with a focus on the socio-spatial analysis of cities.
- An education build on strong cases: Brussels (capital of EU, small global city) – Copenhagen (the Scandinavian mode of regulation), Vienna (metropolis at the centre of Europe: gateway to the East), Madrid (the Mediterranean cities) and a number of surrounding cities.
- The importance of fieldwork: research experience in each city and comparative or transnational research as the basis for a final masters thesis.
- A number of excursions and visits: a central attractor will be that we incorporate well prepared excursions in each block. Each excursion will incorporate a socio-spatial introduction to the city (a city walk) and an institutional visit with a focus on certain aspects of policy or management. Moreover a number of projects and institutions will be visited.
- Research and teaching on issues of urbanity and urbanism
- Urban policy advice
- Urban project management
- Urban planning and design
Deze opleiding duurt 2 jaar.
|Vrije universiteit Brussel - campus Etterbeek, Brussel||Brussel|
Er zijn nog geen reacties op dit onderwerp.
Laat een reactie achter
Er zijn nog geen ervaringen beschikbaar. Heb jij een ervaring die je wilt delen? Log dan in met je TKMST-profiel en schrijf je ervaring in een blog-post!